Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Storymatic Challenge Via FictionPress

     My creative writing professor exposed our class the other day to a wonderful deck of cards titled, "The Storymatic." These wonderful little cards, as I've quickly come to see, are a writer's best friend. As the box says, there are literally six trillion story prompts you can score every day with a draw of four cards, two of each of the colors offered.


The Storymatic Cards as depicted above
The small library I've developed of books that help with my writing are all well and good, but by no means does this library of mine constantly offer me a plethora of wonky prompts that weaken the most stubborn of my writer's blocks.
     These cards always offer an interesting combination of a character and a trait plus a situation and often an item or a sound. Having come into possession of a deck of my own, I can excitedly report that I will be attempting to begin a challenge of drawing four cards every day and consistently write whatever I get.
     I've already posted the results of my second attempt at this challenge on FictionPress-Sokulski, and the first will be posted at a later time as it was a submission for my creative writing class that I am still waiting on for critiquing purposes. The newest submission is a very green attempt at a short story titled, Common Sense. It won't be my best work out there but I'm eager to utilize this opportunity to learn. Hopefully this challenge will once and for all get me into the healthy habits my writing so desperately require.

No comments:

Post a Comment